Friday, August 19, 2011

Don't Be Rash

Just so you know: Before I begin this, I'll tell you the end of the story. I hate reading stories that make me nervous, so I'll tell you the end of the story. They believe that what Logan has will go away by itself and it clearly doesn't hurt. Alright.... now that that is cleared up....

Logan has this..... rash. It seemed relatively harmless looking when it started out. In fact it looked like just one tiny little blemish below his eye. The next day, while I was drying my hair, Logan came up to me and asked, "What's this, Mama?" as he rubbed his elbow. I looked at it. It looked like a couple of bumps. Being the ever diligent ball of anxiousness that I am, I decided to immediately inspect the rest of his body. A couple more on his arm, one on his face, and a couple on his leg. I'm not patient when it comes to medical things, so I phoned up the doctor and procured an appointment for as soon as possible.

At our doctor's appointment the doctor spent a great deal of time examining it. He then looked up and said, "I'm not sure what it is. I'll need another opinion." We wait for a while, and I try to distract Logan with a bead maze in hopes that he will stop trying to jump off the examining table (for fun, of course). Finally, our normal doctor comes in and I get all excited. He's been a doctor since 1986 (yes, I googled him), and he was even my doctor growing up. He spends time trying to look at it. Logan, on the other hand, has lots of plans to talk to him.

Logan: "Hi Dr. F... I have a tattoo. It is Mickey and his best friends.... Pluto and Minnie. Minnie is starting to come off. She is wearing a blue dress..... I don't know why...... Minnie wears a pink dress."

As Logan is talking his ear off, the doctor is examining his arms. He stops for a moment and says to Logan, "Wow, I didn't know that you joined the navy since I last saw you." Logan cracks up, acting like he knows what that means. Anyway, Doctor #2 still doesn't know what it is. They say it looks like chicken pox, but since it is not itchy and not on his trunk, it can't be. I'm sent home with no answers and the instructions to watch him for a couple of days.

The second day, he wakes up and at first it seems like it's all the same. By the afternoon though, it had spread more to his face and his arms and legs. I call back again with the request to have someone call me back and they say we need to come back in. I make an appointment for the next morning.

The third day.we go back and we have another doctor. He looks all over Logan as the rash has spread. He is silent the whole time. Finally he stops, and says, "I'll be right back." Five minutes later he comes back and says he thinks Logan has a Gianotti Crosti Syndrome from the result of a viral infection. It is rare, but it will go away after a couple of weeks, with no lasting side effects. Fingers crossed, that this is what it is!

I'm just glad that he's energetic and happy. He actually has lots of energy. Just today he unrolled all of the toilet paper while I was in the shower, tried to jump off a flimsy Mickey chair, and did so many somersaults that I don't know how he can see straight. I love this little boy, spots and all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment